Saturday, February 27, 2010

AAAWWUBBIS

AAAWWUBBIS is a phrase I had no idea about, UNTIL this grammar class. I would write and not know that I was partaking in AAAWWUBBIS, WHILE going through school. Also, reading through a newspaper, I have noticed that they are used all the time. I find it funny how most people can write and be completely oblivious to what kind of writing they are actually doing, including me. Subordinating clauses have been the easiest for me, and AAAWWUBBIS is easy to remember. There are many different clauses and I seem to get confused on which is which, EVEN AFTER practice. I guess more practice is needed for me!

I have also come to realize that commas have many more use than just a pause in a sentence. Also, I can understand how hard it would be to determine if a comma is to be placed where some are placed. Places that are paused at while reading seems to be natural where the comma is to go. However, I have recently learned that that is not always true. These clauses are also created with using a comma.

Question: While looking at the subordinating words and clauses in our handbook, I noticed that words are used in the phrases list but not the word list. Is the English language trying to confuse everyone on purpose or is there a specific reason why the phrases are different then the words?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that the English language is trying to confuse us about that, I just think that they are only in the phrases list to try and help us understand that they CAN go in the word list but they just won't put them there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kasie--please, oh please use bigger font!
    thx.

    ReplyDelete